Wednesday, December 31, 2008

28 Week Check-up

I went to the doctor again yesterday for another check-up. Everything was the same as usual until I sat down to have my finger pricked and the lady got a big needle out. I asked her why she has to draw blood and she said for the antibody test. I looked at her funny and she said "because your blood type is negative". I was shocked because I always thought that I was O positive. I told her that, so she went and looked at my chart and came back and said that they have me down as being A negative. Since my blood is A negative, they are going to draw blood from Matthew when we go back in two weeks to find out his blood type. If his blood is positive then our baby's blood could be positive which means that if her blood mixes with mine at delivery, my body could build up antibodies to the positive blood. If my body builds up those antibodies, then my body could attack my next child's blood if he or she has positive blood. Did you get all of that? I called my mother to ask her about my blood type and she said that she is pretty sure that she was told when I was born that my blood was O positive. She has thought that I was positive all of my life. She tried to call my pediatrician's office to find out, but they have my file archived. They can pull it, but it takes about a week to get it. Matt can't remember his blood type, so we'll just have to wait and see. 85% of people have a positive blood type, so more than likely he will be positive and I will have to have a shot when I go back and another one right after my delivery. They have been giving this shot since the 60s, so it's a common thing with mothers who have negative blood and a mate with positive. Everything else seems to be going fine. My appointments are going to be every two weeks now until closer to the end when I go every week. We get to do the 4D ultrasound next time!!! I can't wait to see her!! Hopefully she is positioned for some good shots.

1 comment:

*erica* said...

Hey Ang! Glad your check-up went well. I hope that everything is okay with the blood types. I'm sure it will be! As always y'all are in my prayers. Hope you had a great new year!!! I'm so glad I got to see you at Christmas. You look absolutely precious!!!
Love you,
Erica